A Historic Self-Guided Tour
Travel back in time to the 1880’s and 1900’s with a short stroll along Jefferson Avenue. Just a few blocks from the heart of Ogden are the homes of some of the influential folk who made the city into what it is today.
This leisurely walk is about two blocks long (0.2 miles), but for visitors who like to stop and read the placards with the history behind these houses and the stories of the people who lived in them, we recommend planning about 30 minutes for this stroll.
We begin the tour with The First Baptist Church on 595 25th street. When Reverend Dwight Spencer organized the First Baptist Church in 1881, the chapel was built on the corner of Grant and 24th St. The current site was occupied by a cross wing home built by Myron Butler.
The property was sold to the First Baptist Church in 1920 and it was moved. Architects Slack Winburn & Walter Ware, designed in the Colonial & English Paladin style. The Church was built in 1926, & the home to the west in 1890.
Built in 1904 for David C. Eccles, who succeeded his father, David Eccles, as President of Oregon Lumber Co. He was also the President of Utah National Bank of Ogden. He lived in the home until 1919 when he moved to Portland. Architects Hodgson & Smith designed the home in the Extended Four-Square style.
Built in 1910 for Thomas Car, one of the founders of Rexall Drug Stores. Mr. Carr served as a member of the City Council and was a prominent Mason and member of the Weber Club.
Designed in the California Bungalow style, the roof has a rectangular plan & wood shingled gable peaks. The long pitched roof, with eaves parallel to the street, covers the porch. The porch rests on brick supports w/ ogee-shaped wood arches between them.
Built in 1891 for Edmund Hulaniski, a descendent of Polish royalty. In Ogden, Mr. Hulaniski was involved in politics and government. He served as city, county and district attorney. From 1907-1909 was a member of the Utah State Senate. Architect William W. Fife designed this home in the Victorian Eclectic style. The style is represented by the two story vertical emphasis of windows and gables.
William V. Helfrich was employed as a cashier for Citizens Bank. He and his wife Agnes were residents of the property until 1896. Patrick Healy Sr. acquired the property in 1897. Mr Healy immigrated from Ireland in 1862 arriving in New York and eventually settling in Utah in 1868 and marrying Mary Ann Patterson.
This Home was built by William V Helfrich in 1891 in the architectural style of Victorian Eclectic with Queen Anne shingling and tower. Many additions and alterations were made but later removed in 2010 restoring the integrity of the original home.
Built in 1889 for Thomas A. Whalen. Thomas Whalen came to Utah in 1871 and became a conductor on a Central Pacific passenger train until 1888. Upon retiring from the railroad, he became involved with Commercial National Bank as a member of its executive committee.
Designed in the Victorian Eclectic/Queen Anne style. The house consists of pedimented gables with Queen Anne shingling and half timbering, turned porch posts, one-story, full width porch with gabled entry and a shingled second story bay. The house is a mirror twin of the house at 2540 Jefferson.
Built in 1889 for Thomas A. Whalen, who sold the house in December of 1889 to Oscar E & Lola Hill. Oscar Hill was a cashier at the Commercial National Bank. In 1917, John Hoxer bought the house. He was a resident from 1918 until his death in 1944.
Designed in the Victorian Eclectic/Queens Anne style. The house still retains much of the original exterior ornamentation and still has fine woodwork and detailing on the interior.
Fred Nye bought the land in 1904 & built his house in 1910. Nye was prominent in commercial & financial circles in Ogden & President of the Fred M Nye Co, a clothing store.
Designed in the Craftsman/Bungalow style. This house contains many stylistic elements from the California Bungalow, including the gable-roofed portico, exposed protecting rafter and square column supports.
Built in 1895 by Hiram Spencer, a businessman who was involved with the City government. He was elected Mayor of Ogden serving from 1896-1898. William H. Eccles acquired the property in 1903 W.H. Eccles owned the W.H. Eccles Lumber Co.
Architect Francis C. Woods, designed in the Victorian Eclectic/Queen Anne style. It is a 2-½- story brick, frame and concrete structure. The mass of the building is asymmetrical. From the gabled roof, five gabled bays project out.
Built about 1998 for John Tyler, who managed a hotel enterprise. Later he was appointed Ogden City Postmaster, then elected Weber County Recorder. Robert H Hinckley purchased the property in 1929 & lived there until 1960. He established Hinckley Dodge.
Designed in the Victorian Eclectic/Queen Anne style. It’s a 2-½ story structure, on sandstone foundation; steep pitched cross-gable roof & pediments. It uses fishscale shingles on the main front & side gables, typical of the Queen Anne Style.
Built in 1893 by James C. Armstrong, David & Bertha Eccles purchased the home in 1896. David Eccles was a businessman. He also served as Mayor of Ogden. Bertha told her children she would like the building kept intact and used for education and culture.
Architect Samuel T. Whitaker, designed in the Victorian style. It’s a 2-½ story, 16 bedroom, building of red brick, sitting on a red sandstone foundation. Steep roofs & turrets, covered in metal shingles, are topped with finials.
The Eccles Community Arts Center is a non-profit organization dedicated to a continued effort to stimulate interest, foster awareness and provide education in all visual and performing arts. Make sure to check out the murals and water fountains at the back of the house.
James Pingree built the house in 1908, & was a prominent member of the community & founder of the Pingree National bank. The First United Methodist Church purchased the home in 1925, where services were held until 1928 when the chapel was constructed.
Designed in the Prairie/Craftsman style. The porch enclosures have brick rails capped in sandstone w/roofs supported on concrete columns & brick piers. The foundation is concrete, scoured to resemble a block. The walls have simulated quoins at the corners.
Built in 1905 by Richard Leek. He was a contractor and worked for the firm of Calvert and Leek. He also managed the Leek Brick Company.
Designed in the American four-square style. Built on concrete & sandstone foundation. The front porch is stylized with three round Tuscan columns and a pair of square pilasters. The porch railing consists of a wood cap rail with turned spindles.
Built in 1896, the home of Louis Moench, a highly sought after professor. In 1989, Frank Baker purchased the home; Mr. Baker was a dentist and one of the first to set up a permanent practice in Ogden.
Designed in the Victorian Eclectic Cottage style. It is a 2-story brick with a shiplap frame. It is evident that many changes have been made to the structure to accommodate apartments.
Built in 1891 by Alfred W. Meek who was the owner of A.W. Meek Plumbing Steam and Hot Water Heating Company. In 1929 William Abplanalp, who was a high school teacher for the Ogden Board of Education, purchased it. Designed in the Victorian Eclectic style, it is a 1-½ story home. The side hall plan & massing illustrate the asymmetrical nature of the house design. A one-story pediment porch & gabled dormer project from the house. The roofline includes many gables.
Built in 1903 for John Corlew who worked for Fred Kiesel & Co, and as a bookkeeper for Ogden State Bank. He and his wife were made Supreme Representatives of the Knights of Pythias, Utah Domain. Donald Rhivers purchased the home in 1913.
Designed in the Free Classic Queen Anne style. The walls have rock-faced brick simulating quoins on the entry bay and corner tower. The foundations are set in rock-faced sandstone. The corner tower has a bell cast roof with blunt finial.
As you conclude your self-guided tour along Jefferson Avenue's historic homes, it's clear that these preserved homes offer a window into a bygone era. Whether you're a local or a visitor, the time spent exploring these houses and learning about the lives intertwined with them will be an enriching experience.